The Importance of a Healthy Diet
A healthy diet is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. By taking steps to eat healthy, you get the nutrients your body needs to stay healthy, active, and strong. Dietary habits established in childhood often carry into adulthood, so teaching children how to eat healthy at a young age will help them stay healthy throughout their life. But it’s never too late to start eating healthy! An unhealthy diet, like one composed of high-calorie foods that are low in nutritional value, typically fast food and pre-packaged foods, can lead to many negative health consequences, like:
- Obesity and unhealthy weight gain
- Fatigue and depression
- Vitamin deficiency, leading to tooth decay and poor eyesight
- High blood pressure and high cholesterol
- More serious long-term consequences, including heart disease, cancer, sleep apnea, diabetes, stroke, and infertility.
On the other hand, a healthy diet can lead to many positive results for your overall health. Although it is sometimes hard to change eating patterns, even small steps can have big positive effects, some of which include:
- Be more productive at work. Having an unhealthy diet puts you at a 66% increased risk of productivity loss, according to one study.
- Be happier. The food we eat effects the reward centers in our brain, and helps us feel better all-around.
- Be less stressed. Certain foods help moderate the level of stress hormones in our body, particularly foods high in vitamin C.
- Live longer and age better.
- Save money! If you stay healthy, you reduce the possibility of having to pay the medical bills that results from the negative health consequences of a poor diet.
Be eating right, you can feel healthier, more energetic, and all around better. Boston Foods aims to make that easy.